Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1740 - 1760
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house, built c.1750, having recent shopfront to front (north) elevation. Now in use as public house. Flat roof, hidden behind crenellated rendered parapet. Rendered walls. Square-headed window openings, with painted masonry sills, continuous sill course to second floor windows, pedimented timber panelled surrounds to second floor, render pediments on foliate consoles over first floor windows, and replacement uPVC windows. Panelled pilasters and fascia over square-headed door and window openings to shopfront. Granite paving to footpath to front, opening to basement area.
This building retains much of its early form and character, and has a long commercial history. Dublin Street Directory of 1862 lists it as the Emerald Hotel, property of John Houghton, wine and spirit merchant. It may have had a third floor which has since been removed. Window surrounds provide aesthetic interest to the façade, particularly the scrolled consoles and pediments to the first floor windows. The granite paving to the front provides additional contextual interest.