Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1740 - 1760
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house with integral carriage opening, built c.1750, having recent shopfront to front (north) elevation. Now in use as shop. Hipped artificial slate roof, set perpendicular to street, with rendered chimneystacks having clay chimneypots. Red brick parapet having granite coping and moulded red brick cornice forming continuous sill course to third floor windows. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to front, rebuilt to third floor. Rendered walls to east and west elevations. Square-headed window openings with painted masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows.
This building retains much of its early form and character, as well as significant fabric such as handmade brick to the lower storeys, which is increasingly rare in urban areas. The alignment of the roof and rebuilt parapet may suggest that it was originally built as a 'Dutch Billy' with a gable-fronted parapet. The Dublin Street Directory of 1862 lists it as the property of John Keane, sen. Soap and candle manufacturer. Thomas Street developed along the ancient Slige Mor highway to the west, and was named after an Abbey dedicated to Saint Thomas the Martyr, which was established in the area in 1177. The city water course partially ran along the street until it was paved over in 1696, and the ready availability of water contributed to the development of the street as a centre of brewing and distilling.