Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
In Use As
1770 - 1790
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1780, altered c.1925, having recent shopfront to front (north) elevation. Now in use as shop. Hipped slate roof, set perpendicular to street, with red brick chimneystack and terracotta ridge tiles. Red brick parapet having granite coping and red brick cornice. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to walls, having black brick string courses at impost level, granite string courses at sill level to upper floors, and red brick pilasters flanking façade. Cast-iron wall-ties. Rendered walls to west elevation. Segmental-headed window openings with granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sash windows. Shuttered shopfront.
A façade designed by McCurdy & Mitchell in 1925 and later alterations to the top storey by Ashworth & Smith in 1927 conceal the earlier form and fabric of this building. The more recent façade is subtly enlivened by polychrome brick detailing, and makes an eyecatching contribution to the streetscape. The Dublin Street Directory of 1862 lists it as the property of Geo. Henderson & Company, wholesale trimming warehouse. Thomas Street developed along the ancient Slige Mor highway to the west, and was named after an Abbey dedicated to Saint Thomas the Martyr, which was established in the area in 1177. The city water course partially ran along the street until it was paved over in 1696, and the ready availability of water contributed to the development of the street as a centre of brewing and distilling.