Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1790
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1780, having recent shopfront to front (north) elevation. Now in use as shop. Hipped roof, set perpendicular to street, hidden behind red brick parapet with granite coping and cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to walls. Square-headed window openings to front, having raised render reveals, cut granite sills and six-over-six pane timber sash windows. Shopfront comprising central display window, flanked by shop door and door leading to overhead accommodation.
This mid-Georgian building retains much of its early form and fabric, including timber sash windows which greatly enhance its façade by lending a patina of age. With its neighbour to the east, it forms a pair of mid-eighteenth century buildings which together add important historic character to the street, as they are now largely surrounded by buildings of a later date. The Dublin Street Directory of 1862 lists it as the property of Mrs Anne Loughery, grocer and provision dealer, this site has a long commercial association. Thomas Street developed along the ancient Slige Mor highway to the west, and was named after an Abbey dedicated to Saint Thomas the Martyr, which was established in the area in 1177. The city water course partially ran along the street until it was paved over in 1696, and the ready availability of water contributed to the development of the street as a centre of brewing and distilling.