Categories of Special Interest
Furlong & Kehoe
In Use As
1770 - 1790
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1780, having recent shopfront to front (north) elevation. Flat roof, hidden behind red brick parapet with granite coping and cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to walls. Square-headed window openings to front, with raised render reveals, painted masonry sills and one-over-one pane timber sash windows.
The decreasing scale of fenestration in this mid-Georgian house creates a pleasing, well-balanced façade, and the retention of timber sash windows adds a patina of age. The Dublin Street Directory of 1862 states that this building was occupied by Patrick Pilsworth, grocer and spirit dealer, indicating that there is a long commercial history associated with this site. Thomas Street developed along the ancient Slige Mor highway to the west, and was named after an abbey dedicated to Saint Thomas the Martyr, which was established in the area in 1177. The city water course partially ran along the street until it was paved over in 1696, and the ready availability of water contributed to the development of the street as a centre of brewing and distilling.