Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social

Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1880 - 1890


314876, 233861

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached three-bay three-storey house and shop, built c.1885, having shopfront to front (east) elevation. Pitched roof hidden behind red brick parapet with granite coping, moulded red brick cornice having red brick corbels, flanked by red brick piers surmounted by terracotta ball finials. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to walls, moulded red brick string course over first floor. Segmental-headed window openings, with one-over-one pane timber sash windows, granite sills and steel security bars. Shopfront comprising painted brick piers and consoles, those to north having foliate roundels, flanking timber cornice and fascia over square-headed display windows with timber mullions, sills and render risers on granite plinth course. Central square-headed door opening flanked by timber pilasters, with glazed overlight and double-leaf half-glazed timber panelled door having steel security bars. Square-headed door opening to south of shopfront, with glazed overlight, timber panelled door and granite step.


This striking building makes a positive contribution to the streetscape with its imposing scale and well-executed façade. The building as a whole and the elegant shopfront are both well-proportioned and symmetrical. The textural interest of the brickwork corbels and string courses subtly enhance the façade and demonstrate the skilled artisanship employed in its construction. Slender pilasters and decorative details to the corbels add artistic interest to the shopfront.