Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Social Technical
In Use As
1880 - 1900
Freestanding cast-iron pillar box manufactured c.1890, installed c.1980. Circular-plan with shallow domed cap, moulded corona, neck moulding, cylindrical shaft and moulded plinth base. Raised lettering 'POST' and 'OFFICE' to neck flanking aperture. Curved hinged door facing north. Maker's mark to north side of plinth base 'HANDYSIDE & CO. LD. / DERBY & LONDON'. Located in car park of Le Fanu Shopping Centre.
Located in the car park of a late twentieth-century shopping centre, this attractive piece of street furniture remains in active use. Unusually, it has no royal cipher or other insignia, due to its early date or to replacement of the door. The first cylindrical pillar boxes were introduced in 1879, and this model, made by Andrew Handyside of Derby, with the aperture between the moulded bands was produced from 1883. Until 1887 the model used was known as an 'Anonymous' Pillar Box as the Royal Cipher was not included until that date. This pillar box was probably relocated, and installed c.1980 when Le Fanu Shopping Centre was constructed.