Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
Saint Vincent's Convent
In Use As
1910 - 1930
Attached six-bay two-storey former convent, built c.1920, having two-bay connecting corridor to north, and two single-storey box bay windows to rear (west) elevation. Hipped slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods. Lined-and ruled rendered walls, with channelled quoins and plinth course. Decorative render panels to front and rear elevations. Square-headed windows openings having six-over-six pane timber sash windows to first floor of front elevation, two-over-two panes to connecting corridor and to south elevation. Four-over-four panes with bipartite overlights to ground floor of connecting corridor. Paired window openings to bay windows, replacement uPVC windows to rear elevation. Retains interior features. Attached to south of Saint Vincent's convent and chapel.
This former convent forms part of a complex of religious and industrial buildings associated with Saint Vincent's Church and convent. In 1855 Cardinal Cullen requested the Sisters of Mercy to provide a rehabilitation service to women who had been incarcerated in Mountjoy Jail. A lease was taken in Goldenbridge in 1856, and by 1858 the Sisters of Mercy had established a convent, national school for the poor of the area and a commercial laundry, as well as the rehabilitation service for the former prisoners. This building was constructed c.1920, and is identified as 'Convent' on the fourth edition Ordnance Survey map, published c.1935. The building retains some early features including cast-iron rainwater goods and timber sash windows to its front and south elevations. It if of historical and social significance as part of the Goldenbridge Industrial School complex.