Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social

Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1925 - 1930


311911, 233436

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached three-bay three-storey pharmacy, built 1928, with timber shopfront to front (south) elevation and three-storey return to rear (north) elevation. Flat roof with rendered parapet. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls with cornice and painted signwriting over first floor. Square-headed window openings with rendered surrounds having keystones, painted granite sills and steel casement windows. Timber shopfront to ground floor, having central canted entrance bay flanked by plate glass windows set over masonry stallrisers, in turn flanked by engaged render pilasters supporting fascia with raised timber lettering. Square-headed glazed timber door with matching overlight. Matching toplights to plate glass windows. Square-headed door opening having replacement steel door and matching overlight providing access to upper floors. Glazed timber-framed display cabinets to interior.


Located on the site of the old Black Lion public house, this pharmacy has been in continuous use since its construction. The early twentieth-century shopfront and the signwriting contribute to the urban character of Inchicore village. The retention of early windows enhance the facade, and the multiple pane toplights echo those of the well-designed shopfront. Though the interior has been extended to the north, the retention of the original display cabinets adds to the historic character of the building and continue to serve the community today.