Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Cultural
In Use As
1770 - 1780
Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c.1775, now in use as museum. Hipped M-profile roof hidden behind parapet to front (north) having granite capping, and red brick chimneystacks. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond to front having rusticated cut granite quoins and cut granite plinth course. Lined-and-ruled rendered wall to basement level. Rendered walls to east elevation. Square-headed window openings having granite sills. Six-over-six pane timber sash windows to basement, ground and first floors, six-over-three pane timber sash windows to second floor. Three-over-three pane timber sash windows to third floor. Elliptical-headed door opening having carved masonry surround with engaged Ionic columns and respondent pilasters. Plain sidelights and fanlight surrounding timber panelled door, approached by granite steps and entrance platform. Cast-iron railings on granite plinth flanking steps and enclosing basement area to front. Flagstones and later metal staircase to basement area.
This late eighteenth-century house was built for Joshua Pim, a grain merchant. In the 1890s it was the home of James Joyce's grand-aunts and was the setting of his short story 'The Dead'. It was used in 1987 by John Huston as the set for the film version. Its proportions and decorative doorcase are typical of Dublin Georgian townhouses. Together with numbers 12 and 14 it contributes positively to the historic character of the south quays, occupying a prominent position which closes the vista from Blackhall Place and the James Joyce Bridge. It has been recently restored, and its top storey reinstated.