Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social, Technical
In Use As
1785 - 1795
Freestanding drinking fountain, erected 1790, comprising fluted Portland stone obelisk with projecting block and oval sundials to each face, ball finial to top, set on painted masonry plinth having carved human masks to each elevation, cast-iron wall-fountains to north, south and west elevations, plaque to east elevation. Surrounded by cast-iron bollards. Restored 1995.
This drinking fountain was designed by Francis Sandys and is an interesting example of the decorative appeal of functional street furniture at the close of the eighteenth century. Originally a basin surrounded the pedestal, into which water flowed from the masks at the base, these were later replaced by the cast-iron fountains by T. Kennedy of Kilmarnock. The obelisk was refaced in 1932. It is an interesting focal point on the streetscape, and is of technical and social interest as an example of the early provision of drinking water in a public place. The carefully executed masks provide artistic interest.