Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Terraced U-plan fifteen-bay three-storey office building over basement with dormer attic, built c.1880, having five-bay central breakfront with pedimented breakfront central entrance bay. Flat-roofed fourth-floor addition to roof of west return. Full-height four-bay returns to rear (south) elevation, flanking single-bay two-storey return. Canted bay window to rear elevation of east return. Mansard slate roofs having wrought-iron railings to lower ridge, flat-roofed dormer windows with timber casement windows and pitched roof lights. Cut granite parapet and carve granite cornice to front (north) elevation, with dentils and modillions to breakfront. Red brick eaves course to rear elevations. Metal access deck to eaves to rear (south) elevation. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond having rusticated cut granite quoins and platbands to front elevation, rock-faced rusticated granite plinth over rendered walls and snecked limestone walls to basement level. Round-arch two-storey recesses to first and second floors. Brown brick walls laid in English garden wall bond to rear elevation, having cut stone quoins. Round-arch window openings to second floor, segmental-arch window openings to first floor and square-headed openings to ground floor. Carved granite keystones to second floor and breakfront to front elevation. Granite sills and replacement metal windows and one-over-one pane timber sash windows, some with secondary glazing. Camber-arch window openings to basement having red brick surrounds, two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows and cast-iron external security bars. Square-headed door opening to central breakfront, having carved granite corbelled canopy forming balconette to window above. Double-leaf timber panelled doors having plain overlight, approached by granite steps with nosings and granite entrance platform flanked by cast-iron railings with lamp stands and enclosed by double-leaf cast-iron pedestrian gate. Square-headed door opening to east end bay having bull-nosed brick reveals. Timber panelled door with plain overlight approached by granite steps with nosings flanked by cast iron railings and enclosed by double-leaf cast-iron pedestrian gate. Cut granite plinth walls with cast-iron railings enclosing basement area.
Built in 1880 by George Wilkinson, this building with its pedimented central bay, ordered elevation and decorative detailing has an imposing presence on James's Street, appropriate to the offices of the largest city centre industrial site. The Guinness Brewery was founded in 1759 by Arthur Guinness and it first developed on the south side of Saint James's Gate and later expanded in all directions. Historic fabric remains in the roof structure, granite detailing, brickwork and cast-iron railings.