Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical
1860 - 1900
Attached single-bay three-storey building, built c.1880, comprising integral carriage arch set in screen wall and enclosed linking building between neighbouring office blocks at first and second floor level. Flat roof hidden behind parapet to front (north) elevation having wrought-iron railings. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Metal access deck to eaves to rear (south) elevation. Brown brick walls to first and second floors having red brick quoins, painted to first floor to rear. Red brick walls to front screen wall to ground floor. Triple arcade of round-arched window openings to second floor having stepped red brick surrounds and shared granite sill. Tripartite square-headed window openings to first floor having stepped red brick surrounds and shared granite sill. Stained glass windows. Lantern to roof, having flat roof and fixed timber windows. Carriage arch to front having round arch with rusticated cut granite surround having keystone and cornice. Timber battened gates with cast-iron strapping. Carriage arch to rear having red brick voussoirs. Set back from street having cast-iron railings and gates to front.
This building provides an elegant link between two office buildings and vehicular access to the Guinness Brewery complex. Skilled stonemasonry is evident in the carriage arch granite surround and quality craftsmanship in the upper floor stained glass windows. The Guinness Brewery complex is the largest city centre industrial site. Founded in 1759, by Arthur Guinness, it first developed on the south side of Saint James's Gate and later expanded in all directions.