Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Social Technical
In Use As
1920 - 1960
Freestanding circular-profile cast-iron pillar post box, erected c.1940. Raised insignia of P&T to front (south) elevation, moulded neck, dentillated frieze, shallow domed cap, curved hinged door having letter slot and handle. Located on footpath.
Located on a commercial stretch of streetscape in a residential suburban area, this attractive piece of street furniture remains in use. It is a notable example of quality mass-produced cast-iron work produced in the mid- to late-twentieth century. The form and the insignia, representing the national Posts & Telegraphs service, references designs from the early years of the Irish State. Pillar boxes were sited in busy urban areas with large volumes of post, where wall boxes would have provided insufficient capacity.