Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
1930 - 1950
Detached rectangular-plan reinforced concrete handball alley, built c.1940, having taller wall to the east and sloped walls to the north and south. Tiered viewing platform to west end accessed by enclosed staircase to north elevation. Now disused. Rendered walls. Square-headed door openings, having steel doors. Located within Iveagh Sports Grounds, north of Crumlin Road.
This handball alley is an important reminder of the strong position the sport once held in Ireland, illustrating the high regard and esteem traditional sports were given in the early days of the Republic. It represents a building type of some social and vernacular importance, indigenous to Ireland. The incorporation of tiered spectator seats and use of reinforced concrete renders this structure distinct from other handball alleys.