Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
In Use As
1935 - 1940
Detached seven-bay single-storey Art Deco library, built 1937, having taller entrance breakfront to front (north) elevation, and lean-to extension to rear. Hipped tiled roof having red brick chimneystack to rear, cast-iron rainwater goods. Channelled rendered parapet. Red brick walls laid in English Garden Wall bond over rendered plinth, having recessed brick string courses. Strip windows having square headed window openings chamfered sills and rendered header and sill courses, red brick mullions. Steel windows, having pivoting lights. Corner wrap-around windows to all elevations. Entrance bay having decorative parapet, and recessed square-headed door opening having stepped surround with sawtooth motif. Glazed timber panelled double-leaf doors having plain overlight. Interior having plastered finish to walls and ceiling, glazed internal porch, fixed timber reception desk and timber shelving. Set back from road on raised site having concrete steps and steel handrail. Enclosed by steel railings on rendered plinth wall, having double leaf pedestrian gates
An elegantly-composed library, built in 1937 to designs by Robert Lawrie, who was working for Dublin City Architect Horace O’Rourke during this period. This building was one of four similar libraries built by Dublin Corporation between 1935 and 1940, in the suburbs of Phibsborough, Ringsend, Drumcondra and Inchicore. Understated and elegantly detailed, Inchicore Library is a remarkably complete surviving example of this typology. The Art Deco-inspired doorcase and metal windows by Crittall are of particular note and add aesthetic appeal. While Art Deco was a popular style internationally in the 1930s, surviving buildings of the style are relatively rare in Dublin and throughout Ireland. The quality of materials, and composition and scale of the building in its associated landscaping create a pleasing sense of uniformity of design, making a positive architectural contribution to the street. This library remains in active use and is of great social importance to the local community.