Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1900 - 1940
Boundary walls enclosing Guinness Brewery to south, built c.1920. Brown brick, laid in English bond, with recessed panels and carved granite coping. Matching wall in red brick to south-east, rusticated granite quoins. Two pairs of square-profile channelled rusticated granite piers flanking double-leaf gates.
The curved profile of this boundary wall reflects the plan of the surrounding area, which grew around the Grand Canal Harbour. The Guinness Brewery was founded in 1759 by Arthur Guinness when he purchased brewery buildings south of Saint James's Gate from Mark Rainsford. It subsequently expanded on all sides, and was at one time the largest brewery in the world. The wall exhibits a high degree of architectural quality, which is enhanced by masonry detailing and recessed panels, creating a lively yet ordered elevation. The associated gates provide contextual as well as functional interest, boasting fascia boards emblazoned with 'GUINNESS'. The walls are clearly the work of skilled craftsmen and make a positive contribution to the streetscape.