Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social Technical
In Use As
1790 - 1795
Single-arch limestone bridge carrying road over Grand Canal, dated 1791, some later rebuilding to north abutment. Elliptical arch having cut granite voussoirs. Cut limestone walls, granite string courses, cut limestone splayed parapet walls terminating in square-plan cut granite piers with cut granite capping. Carved limestone date plaques to both external elevations. Located between Grand Canal Place and Dolphin Road. Concrete towpaths run below Anne Devlin Luas bridge to west, landscaped path to south-east bank.
A traditionally constructed bridge in well cut locally-sourced stone resulting in appealing textural variation. It retains its early character and it is one of a simple yet distinctive style of bridge found the length of the canal. Named after Richard Griffith, a director of the Grand Canal Company, it is located on Grand Canal Place, at a bend on the Grand Canal, formerly a junction connecting to Grand Canal Harbour. The Grand Canal, along with the Royal Canal, encircles Dublin city centre and provides a waterway connection between Dublin's River Liffey and the River Shannon. Construction of the canal began in 1757 and was completed in 1797.