Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
In Use As
1760 - 1780
Single-span limestone bridge, built c.1770, carrying South Circular Road over Camac River. Dressed limestone walls to east and west elevations, dressed limestone parapet walls with granite coping. Round arch with cut limestone voussoirs. Dressed limestone to soffit.
This eighteenth-century bridge was constructed to carry South Circular Road over the River Camac, and is shown on Rocque’s map of Dublin city and environs of 1773. The bridge is named on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1837 as Kilmainham Bridge. The North and South Circular Roads circumnavigated the city to improve access, and construction on South Circular Road continued into the 1890s. Kilmainham Bridge was constructed of unrefined locally-sourced limestone, and the granite coping adds a textural variation to this simple, yet well-constructed bridge.