Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement house, built c.1820. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to south-east to front (south-west), hidden behind raised yellow brick parapet with granite coping, having cast-iron rainwater goods and yellow brick and rendered chimneystacks with clay chimney pots. Yellow brick, laid in Flemish bond, with painted granite string course over rendered wall to basement, to front. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls to south-east elevation. Square-headed window openings to front having painted sills and replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed door opening having painted render reveal, painted pilasters supporting spoked fanlight over timber panelled door, granite step and granite platform with cast-iron bootscrape, flanked by wrought-iron railings enclosing basement area to front.
Due to its substantial form and scale, this elegantly-composed house makes a strong impression on the streetscape. The decreasing scale of fenestration provides a sense of order, and emphasises the importance of the reception rooms on the lower floors. Its carved doorcase with an elegant fanlight add artistic interest, providing a focal point on the façade. Palmerston Place began to be developed following the establishment of the terminus of the Midland Great Western Railway terminus at Broadstone in 1845, on land owned by the Palmerston family, while Middle Mountjoy Street predated this.