Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1880 - 1900
Terraced pair of two-bay two-storey over basement houses, built c.1890. M-profile pitched roof, hidden behind raised red brick parapet with granite coping, replacement coping to No.11. Red brick and rendered chimneystacks with clay chimney pots. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, carved red brick plinth course over rendered walls to basement area. Segmental-headed window openings to front (south-east) elevation, partially painted dressed granite sills, chamfered surrounds and mixed timber sash windows and replacement uPVC windows. Round-arched door openings having chamfered surrounds, painted timber doorcases with replacement fanlights and timber panelled doors, opening onto concrete platforms, granite steps to No.11, nosed concrete steps to No.12, flanked by wrought-iron railings. Wrought-iron railings on painted masonry plinth walls enclosing basement areas.
Palmerston Place began to be developed following the establishment of the terminus of the Midland Great Western Railway terminus at Broadstone in 1845, on land owned by the Palmerston family. This pair was among the last to be constructed on the street, and its later date can be discerned from the segmental-headed chamfered openings, which bring variety to the streetscape. The shared fenestration alignment and parapet height make it distinctive as a pair with no.13.