Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Social Technical
In Use As
1925 - 1945
Freestanding circular-profile cast-iron pillar box with plinth base, installed c.1935. Raised insignia of P&T to front (south) elevation, moulded neck, dentillated frieze and domed cap. Maker's mark to rear (north) of plinth base: 'CARRON COMPANY / STIRLINGSHIRE'. Set into concrete paving of footpath. Located at corner of Mountjoy Street and Fontenoy Street.
This attractive piece of street furniture represents the high quality of mass-produced cast-iron work in the early years of the twentieth century. The insignia, representing the national Posts & Telegraphs service, dates the box to the early years of the Irish State. It is likely this pillar box replaced an earlier model, as an earlier pillar box is mapped on the 1907 Ordnance Survey map.