Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1790
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c.1780, now in use as offices. Pitched artificial slate roof, hipped to front, having parapet with granite capping to front (north) elevation. Stepped red brick chimneystack having rendered base shared with building to west side. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond having recent red brick to parapet. Rendered plinth course over roughcast rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings having patent reveals and granite sills. One-over-one pane timber sash windows to above ground floors. Replacement uPVC windows to basement. Round-arched door opening having moulded surround and plain fanlight. Recent timber panelled door. Five granite steps to entrance platform having cast-iron bootscrape to west side of door, wrought-iron railings on granite capping to rendered plinth wall. Recent metal stairs to basement area from pavement. Square-headed door opening to basement having recent timber door. Basement area enclosed from pavement by rendered plinth wall with granite capping and wrought-iron railings and gate.
This well proportioned former house makes an important contribution to the streetscape. Its window and door openings are typical of the era and together with its near-identical neighbours it forms a coherent terrace. Eccles Street was laid out in 1772 by the Gardiner Estate. It was to be an arterial route leading to Gardiner's ambitious yet unrealised Royal Circus, planned for the north-west end of Eccles Street. The south side of the street is an impressive, almost entirely, late eighteenth-century terrace with taller buildings to the centre of the terrace.