Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1790
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c.1780, now in use as offices. Pitched artificial slate roof, hipped to front, having parapet with granite capping to front (north) elevation. Stepped red brick chimneystack having rendered base shared with property to east side. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond having recent red brick to parapet. Granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings having patent reveals and granite sills. One-over-one pane timber sash windows to first and second floors. Replacement uPVC windows to ground floor and basement. Round-arched door opening having moulded surround and cobweb fanlight. Timber panelled door. Three cut granite steps to entrance platform having mixed wrought-iron and recent metal railings on granite capping to rendered plinth wall. Recent metal stairs to basement area from pavement. Square-headed door opening to basement having recent timber door. Basement area enclosed from pavement by low granite wall with recent metal railings and gate. Cast-iron coal hole cover in granite pavement in front of entrance.
This well proportioned former house makes an important contribution to the streetscape. Its window and door openings are typical of the Georgian era and together with its similarly proportioned neighbours it forms a coherent terrace. Eccles Street was laid out in 1772 by the Gardiner Estate. It was to be an arterial route leading to Gardiner's ambitious yet unrealised Royal Circus, planned for north-west end of Eccles Street. The south side of the street is an impressive, almost entirely, late eighteenth-century terrace with taller buildings to the centre of the terrace.