Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
1770 - 1790
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c.1780, now in use as clinic. Pitched artificial slate roof, hipped to front, having parapet with granite capping to front (north) elevation. Stepped brown brick chimneystack. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond having recent red brick to parapet. Cast-iron wall ties at second floor level. Cut granite plinth course over rusticated rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings having patent reveals and granite sills. Wrought-iron balconettes to first floor windows. Replacement uPVC windows. Round-arched door opening having cut granite block-and-start surround supporting cornice. Petal fanlight. Timber panelled door. Three granite steps to entrance platform having wrought-iron railings. Recent external metal stairs to basement area from pavement. Square-headed door opening to basement having recent timber door. Basement area enclosed from pavement by rendered plinth wall with cut granite coping, with wrought-iron railings and gate. Cast-iron finials to corner spears. Cast-iron coal hole cover in granite pavement in front of entrance.
This well proportioned former house makes an important contribution to the streetscape. Its window and door openings are typical of its type and together with its similarly proportioned neighbours it forms a coherent terrace. The treatment of the entrance, with robust granite surround and delicate fanlight, and balconettes add interest to the otherwise austere facade. Eccles Street was laid out in 1772 by the Gardiner Estate. It was to be an arterial route leading to Gardiner's ambitious yet unrealised Royal Circus, planned for the north-west end of Eccles Street. The south side of the street is an impressive, almost entirely, late eighteenth-century terrace with taller buildings to the centre of the terrace.