Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1790
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c.1780, now in use as flats. Pitched roof set perpendicular to street, hipped to front, having parapet with granite capping to front (north) elevation. Stepped brown brick chimneystack shared with property to east. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond. Cut granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings having patent reveals and granite sills. Replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed door opening having cut granite block-and-start surround with cornice. Y-tracery to fanlight. Timber panelled door. Steps to entrance platform, shared with house to west, having asphalt surfacing. Recent metal railings on granite capping to granite plinth wall. Cast-iron newel post to corner. Basement area enclosed from pavement by granite plinth wall with cut granite coping, with recent metal railings and gate. Recent external concrete stairs to basement area from pavement. Square-headed door opening to basement having recent timber door. Cast-iron coal hole cover in granite pavement in front of house.
This well proportioned house makes an important contribution to the streetscape. Its window and door openings are typical of its type and together with its similarly proportioned neighbours it forms a coherent terrace. It shares details with its neighbours such as the treatment of the entrance and the third bay at ground floor level. Eccles Street was laid out in 1772 by the Gardiner Estate. It was to be an arterial route leading to Gardiner's ambitious yet unrealised Royal Circus, planned for the north-west end of Eccles Street. The south side of the street is an impressive, almost entirely, late eighteenth-century terrace with taller buildings to the centre of the terrace.