Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1790
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c.1780, now in use as flats. Pitched roofs, parallel to street to front (north), perpendicular to street to rear. Parapet with granite capping to front elevation. Rendered chimneystack to west party wall. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond. Rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings having patent reveals and granite sills. One-over-one pane timber sash windows to ground, first and second floors. Timber casement windows to third floor. Round-headed door opening having carved granite block-and-start surround with cornice. Plain fanlight. Timber panelled door. Recently tiled steps to entrance platform. Cast-iron railings on rendered plinth wall. Cast-iron newel post to corner. Basement area enclosed from pavement by rendered plinth wall with recent metal railings and gate. Recent external metal stairs to basement area from pavement. Square-headed door opening to basement having recent glazed door. Cast-iron coal-hole cover set in granite pavement to front of house.
This elegantly proportioned house makes an important contribution to the streetscape. Its window and door openings are typical of its type. It shares details with its neighbours such as the treatment of the entrance and the third bay at ground floor level, both elements enliven an otherwise austere facade. Eccles Street was laid out in 1772 by the Gardiner Estate. It was to be an arterial route leading to Gardiner's ambitious yet unrealised Royal Circus, planned for the north-west end of Eccles Street. The south side of the street is an impressive, almost entirely, late eighteenth-century terrace with taller buildings to the centre of the terrace. It marks a gentle transition from the lower end-of-terrace buildings to the central taller buildings of the terrace.