Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1770 - 1790
Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c.1780, now in use as healthcare clinic. Pitched roofs, front (north) pitch parallel to street, rear pitches perpendicular. Parapet with granite capping to front elevation. Rendered chimneystack shared with property to west. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond having recent red bricks to third floor. Cut granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings having patent reveals and granite sills. Six-over-six pane timber sash windows. Three-over-three pane sash windows to third floor. Round-arched door opening having painted masonry surround with engaged Ionic columns supporting a frieze decorated with festoons. Plain fanlight. Plain sidelights having fluted frieze above. Timber panelled door. Granite steps to entrance platform. Cast-iron railings on granite plinth wall with cast-iron newel posts. Basement area enclosed from pavement by granite plinth wall with cast-iron railings with recent metal gate. Recent external concrete stairs to basement area from pavement. Square-headed door opening to basement having recent metal door. Cast-iron coal-hole cover set in granite pavement to front of house.
This well proportioned former house makes an important contribution to the streetscape. Its Ionic door surround is typical of a type considered fashionable in Dublin in the late eighteenth century. It retains early fabric including sash windows, door surround and door. It forms the western end of the central taller buildings to the centre of the impressive, almost entirely, late eighteenth century terrace to the south of Eccles Street. Eccles Street was laid out in 1772 by the Gardiner Estate. It was to be an arterial route leading to Gardiner's ambitious yet unrealised Royal Circus, planned for the north-west end of Eccles Street.