Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use


In Use As



1770 - 1790


315538, 235556

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c.1780, now in use as offices and shop. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to east end, having parapet with granite cornice to front (north) elevation. Rendered chimneystack shared with property to west. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond having recent red brick to parapet. Painted cut granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings having patent reveals and granite sills. One-over-one pane timber sash windows to basement, ground and first floor, six-over-six pane timber sash windows to second floor, replacement uPVC windows to third floor. Wrought-iron balconettes to first and second floor windows. Round-headed door opening having engaged columns supporting a fluted frieze with paterae. Plain fanlight. Timber panelled door. Granite steps to entrance platform. Cast-iron railings on granite plinth wall. Basement area enclosed from pavement by granite plinth wall with cast-iron railings with recent metal gate. Recent external concrete stairs to basement area from pavement. Square-headed door opening to basement having recent timber door. Two cast-iron coal-hole covers set in granite pavement to front of house.


This well proportioned former house makes an important contribution to the streetscape. It shares proportions and details with its neighbours forming a coherent terrace. It retains early fabric including sash windows, door surround and door. Eccles Street was laid out in 1772 by the Gardiner Estate. It was to be an arterial route leading to Gardiner's ambitious yet unrealised Royal Circus, planned for the north-west end of Eccles Street. The south side of the street is an impressive, almost entirely, late eighteenth-century terrace with taller buildings to the centre of the terrace.