Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1790
Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c.1780, now in use as offices. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to west end, having parapet with granite cornice to front (north) elevation. Rendered chimneystacks shared with property to east. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond having recent red brick to parapet. Painted cut granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings having patent reveals and painted sills. One-over-one pane timber sash windows. Replacement timber casement windows to third floor. Round-headed door opening having painted masonry door surround, having engaged columns supporting a fluted frieze with paterae. Plain fanlight. Timber panelled door. Granite steps to entrance platform, having carved granite retaining walls, with wrought-iron railings and cast-iron newel post shared with property to west, recent railings to east. Basement area enclosed from pavement by granite plinth wall with recent metal railings and gate. Recent external metal stairs to basement area from pavement. Square-headed door opening to basement having recent timber door. Two cast-iron coal-hole covers set in granite pavement to front of house.
This well proportioned former house makes an important contribution to the streetscape. It shares proportions and details with its neighbours forming a coherent terrace. It retains early fabric including sash windows, door surround and door. Eccles Street was laid out in 1772 by the Gardiner Estate. It was to be an arterial route leading to Gardiner's ambitious yet unrealised Royal Circus, planned for the north-west end of Eccles Street. The south side of the street is an impressive, almost entirely, late eighteenth-century terrace with taller buildings to the centre of the terrace.