Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1800
Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c.1790, now in use as offices. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to east end, having parapet with granite cornice to front (north) elevation. Rendered chimneystacks shared with building to west. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond having recent red brick to parapet. Cut granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings having patent reveals and granite sills. Cut granite surrounds to basement windows. Timber sash windows having three-over-six panes to third floor, six-over-six panes to second floor and basement, nine-over-nine panes to first floor, nine-over-six panes to ground floor. Round-headed door opening having painted masonry surround with engaged columns supporting fluted frieze. Plain fanlight. Timber panelled door. Granite steps to entrance platform. Cast-iron railings on granite plinth to steps with finials to corner spears. Basement area enclosed from pavement by granite plinth wall with cast-iron railings. Square-headed door opening to basement having recent timber door. Two timber battened doors to basement area serving coal stores under pavement. Two cast-iron coal-hole covers set in granite pavement to front of house.
This well proportioned former house makes an important contribution to the streetscape. It shares proportions and details with its neighbours forming a coherent terrace. It retains much early fabric including sash windows, door surround, granite surrounds to basement windows and railings and plinth wall to the street. Unlike many of its neighbours the basement area remains inaccessible from pavement level and therefore maintains much of its early characteristics. Eccles Street was laid out in 1772 by the Gardiner Estate. It was to be an arterial route leading to Gardiner's ambitious yet unrealised Royal Circus, planned for the north-west end of Eccles Street. The south side of the street is an impressive, almost entirely, late eighteenth-century terrace with taller buildings to the centre of the terrace.