Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1780 - 1800
Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c.1790, now in healthcare use. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to west end, having parapet with granite capping to front (north) elevation. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, recent red brick to parapet. Cut granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings having patent reveals and granite sills. Painted cut granite surrounds to basement windows. Timber sash windows, three-over-three panes to third floor, nine-over-six panes to ground and first floors, six-over six panes to basement and second floor. Round-arched door opening having painted masonry surround with engaged Ionic columns and respondent pilasters supporting fluted frieze with garlands. Cobweb fanlight, wired-glass sidelights. Timber panelled door. Granite steps to entrance platform. Cast-iron railings on granite plinth to steps. Basement area shared with no.63 Eccles Street, enclosed from pavement having recent metal gate. Recent paved stairs to basement area.
This generously proportioned house makes an important contribution to the streetscape. It shares characteristics with neighbouring buildings including window arrangements and door surrounds resulting in a coherent terrace. Its elaborate Ionic door surround survives in good condition and is typical of door surrounds fashionable in Dublin during the late Georgian period. Eccles Street was laid out in 1772 by the Gardiner Estate. It was to be an arterial route leading to Gardiner's ambitious yet unrealised Royal Circus, planned for the north-west end of Eccles Street. The south side of the street is an impressive, almost entirely, late eighteenth-century terrace with taller buildings to the centre of the terrace.