Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use


In Use As



1780 - 1800


315452, 235594

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement house, built c.1790, now in use as healthcare clinic. M-profile pitched roofs having parapet with granite capping to front (north) elevation. Shared chimneystack with clay chimneypots. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond. Cut granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings having granite sills. Granite surround to basement window. Timber sash windows, three-over-three panes to third floor, nine-over-six panes to first floor, six-over six panes to other openings. Round-arched door opening having masonry surround with engaged Ionic columns supporting fluted frieze. Plain fanlight. Timber panelled door. Granite steps to entrance platform. Cast-iron railings on granite plinth wall to steps having decorative corner posts. Basement area enclosed from pavement by granite plinth wall with cast-iron railings. Square-headed door opening to basement having recent timber door. Two cast-iron coal-hole covers set in granite paving to front.


This generously proportioned house makes an important contribution to the streetscape. It retains many early features typical of Dublin Georgian architecture including sash windows, Ionic door surround, railings and basement area. Eccles Street was laid out in 1772 by the Gardiner Estate. It was to be an arterial route leading to Gardiner's ambitious yet unrealised Royal Circus, planned for the north-west end of Eccles Street. The south side of the street is an impressive, almost entirely, late eighteenth-century terrace with taller buildings to the centre of the terrace.