Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social

Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1860 - 1880


315256, 235121

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay two-storey over basement former shop, built c.1870, having integral carriage opening and shopfront to front (east) elevation. M-profile hipped slate roof, having red brick chimneystacks. Moulded brick eaves course and granite coping to parapet. Shared cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond. Square-headed window openings with red brick voussoirs and cut granite sills, replacement uPVC windows. Carved timber shopfront, having timber fascia and dentillated cornice flanked by ornately carved consoles over engaged panelled pilasters. Replacement uPVC door surmounted by chevron lintel and plain overlight, display window with recent shutter. Metal doors to basement to pavement, having granite kerbstones.


This terrace was built late in the development of Mountjoy Street, which was begun c.1820. The carved timber shopfront is indicative of the high quality craftsmanship of the late nineteenth century, and its setting is enhanced by a similar shopfront to no.40 to the north. Though the windows have been replaced with uPVC windows, this well-composed building maintains the parapet height and fenestration arrangement of its neighbouring buildings, contributing positively to the horizontal aspect of the streetscape.