Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Corner-sited terrace of three two-bay three-storey over basement former houses, built c.1830, now in use as apartments. M-profile pitched slate roofs, having chimneystacks on party and gable walls. Granite coping and carved granite acroteria to parapet, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond to front (east) elevation, north and west elevations, front elevation of no.51 painted red, cut granite plinth course. Rendered walls to basements, render removed from no.50 and no.52. Square-headed window openings with brown brick voussoirs and cut granite sills, remains of one-over-one pane timber sash windows to front elevation, remains of six-over-six pane timber sash windows to rear elevation of no.52, six-over-six pane timber sash window to rear of no.50, eight over-eight pane timber sash window to basement of no.50, replacement uPVC windows to other openings to no.50 and to no.51. Elliptical-arched door openings, having brown brick voussoirs, moulded render surrounds with engaged Ionic columns, petal fanlight to no.50, plain fanlights to no.51 and no.52. Timber panelled doors, replacement steel door to no.52. Granite platforms and steps, shared to no.51 and no.52. Wrought-iron railings with cast-iron corner posts on carved granite plinth wall to steps, and enclosing basement areas, recent gate to no.51 with steel steps to basement.
These houses were built early in the development of Mountjoy Street, the first development of the street can be noted on Corbet's map of 1821, and the street is shown as being built on Wilson's map of 1829. Now located prominently on the corner of Western Way, this new circulation road was created to the newly constructed Broadstone forecourt c.1880. Though no.52 is now derelict, the houses retain much of their early form and character, and fabric including early doorcases and wrought-iron railings with cast-iron corner-posts.