Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1855 - 1860
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement house, built 1858. M-profile pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks having clay chimneypots, hidden behind raised red brick parapet with granite coping to front (south-west) elevation. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to walls, painted masonry plinth course over lined-and-ruled rendered wall to basement. Lined-and-ruled render to south elevation. Square-headed window openings having red brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, painted masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows. Round-arched door opening to front with red brick voussoirs, moulded render surround, plain fanlight over timber panelled door, opening onto granite platform with nosed granite steps, flanked by cast-iron railings on carved granite plinth wall, continuing around to south to enclose basement area. Square-headed door and window openings to basement area.
This building displays a regularity of design and proportion which can be seen in the arrangement of fenestration and doorcase, and is characteristic of architecture of this era. It is further enhanced by cast-iron railings enclosing the railings to the front, and by carved granite detailing, in which skilled craftsmanship is apparent. Dominick Street began to be developed from the mid eighteenth century, when the widow of Sir Christopher Dominick decided to let the land in lots for building. However, Upper Dominick was not developed until some hundred years later, when the construction of the Midland Great Western Railway Terminus at Broadstone prompted considerable residential development in the area. The land upon which this house was built belonged to the Palmerston family. The Dublin Street Directory of 1862 indicates that this was the residence of a Mrs Hickey. Several of the neighbouring plots are listed as being 'building ground' or vacant in this document, indicating that construction was ongoing.