Survey Data

Reg No

50070388


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Previous Name

The Architecture Company Limited


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

House


Date

1850 - 1860


Coordinates

315113, 235153


Date Recorded

29/11/2012


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement house, built c.1855, with recent shopfront added to front (north) elevation. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to east, with shared brick chimneystacks, raised red brick parapet wall having granite coping to front. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to walls, moulded render cornice over render fascia to ground floor. Square-headed window openings with red brick voussoirs, raised render reveals, painted masonry sills and one-over-one pane timber sash windows. Some timber shutters visible to interior. Cast-iron grille set to pavement to front, square-headed window opening visible to basement area. Round-headed door opening to front with moulded masonry surround, fluted pilasters and consoles supporting timber canopy, stained glass fanlight over half-glazed timber panelled door, opening onto granite platform with nosed granite steps, cast-iron railings to north. Render surround to shopfront, square-headed door and window openings with shutters.

Appraisal

This building displays a regularity of design and proportion which can be seen in the arrangement of fenestration and doorcase, and is characteristic of architecture of this era. Timber sash windows are retained throughout, which contributes to the character and charm, and the elegant doorcase and stained glass fanlight add aesthetic interest. Dominick Street began to be developed from the mid eighteenth century, when the widow of Sir Christopher Dominick decided to let the land in lots for building. However, Upper Dominick Street was not developed until some hundred years later, when the construction of the Midland Great Western Railway Terminus at Broadstone prompted considerable residential development in the area. The land upon which this house was built belonged to the Palmerston family. The Dublin Street Directory of 1862 indicates that this was the residence of a Robert Kirk, a bookseller, newspaper & railway advertising agent, testament to the direct influence the railway had upon employment and housing in this area. Several of the neighbouring plots are listed as being 'building ground' or vacant in this document, indicating that construction was ongoing.