Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
Broadstone Bus Depot
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Attached nine-bay double-height former wagon works, built c.1850, arcaded to front (north) elevation, having recent extensions to east, west and south elevations. Now in use as bus depot. Three-bay breakfronts to ends of front. Recent glazed and aluminium roof hidden behind granite parapet with granite cornice over fascia. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Snecked calp limestone walls, rock-faced rusticated quoins to breakfronts, calp limestone plinth course having granite coping. Round-headed openings to front with rusticated calp voussoirs and surrounds, granite impost course. Aluminium-framed windows to openings.
The Dublin terminus of the Midland Great Western Railway (MGWR) opened at Broadstone in 1847, and the line was in use until 1937. Now in use as a bus depot, this building was originally a goods store and was converted into a wagon works c.1870. The ongoing success of railway transport in Ireland can be seen through the continued development of a range of ancillary structures at termini stations. In this building a range of rolling stock, from passenger carriages to covered and open goods vans, horseboxes and brake vans were constructed for use on the railway. Of socioeconomic as well as architectural significance, this structure is of considerable interest as a reminder of the industrial heritage of the country.