Categories of Special Interest
1830 - 1920
Terraced eleven-bay four-storey hotel, built c.1840, expanded to incorporate neighbouring buildings, c.1910. Now disused. Flat roof hidden behind rendered parapet wall over moulded cornice. Rendered walls having moulded platbands, forming continuous sill courses to each storey. Square-headed window openings with moulded architraves, lugged and having moulded keystones to first and second floors, replacement uPVC windows throughout. Recent shopfront to ground floor comprising channelled rendered walls and glazed timber-framed doors.
This building is of particular cultural interest as James Joyce set the Sirens chapter of his novel 'Ulysses' here. Now the largest single component of Ormond Quay, the original hotel was enlarged in the early twentieth century to incorporate the neighbouring buildings on either side. The scale and form of the building contributes to the character of its quay side location. Ormond Quay was constructed in the late seventeenth century, the first of the quays on the north side of the river. It housed a number of noteworthy persons, including Sir Humphrey Jervis, who reclaimed the land from the estuary of the River Bradogue, c.1675, and subsequently erected the Ormond Market.