Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1875 - 1880
Attached three-bay three-storey house, built 1876, having shopfront to front (south) elevation. Adjacent building to east demolished, steel supports in place. Now in use as dental clinic. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to rear, hidden behind rebuilt red brick parapet with brown brick coping. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, black brick platbands at sill level to second floor, and at impost level to first and second floors. Segmental-arched window openings having red and black brick voussoirs, chamfered surrounds, painted masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows. Shopfront comprising fluted timber pilasters supporting panelled timber lintel, fascia and carved cornice, scrolled decorative timber console to east, smaller fluted console to west. Square-headed door and window openings having steel shutters, painted masonry sill and risers to window openings. Doorcase to east end of shopfront comprising painted masonry surround with chamfered edges, decorative frieze and cornice over. Shouldered door opening having timber panelled door.
Thom's Directory of 1850 lists the building on this site as the premises of Pat Egan, grocer and wine merchant. In 1876, this and its neighbour at No.88 were subsumed into a single new grocery premises for Laurence Egan, possibly a relative of Pat, by O'Neill & Byrne. Although the parapet of this building has been rebuilt and the two have since been separated, the shared shopfront and common features to the upper floors are still evident. The shared fenestration pattern and decorative black brick string courses present a unified façade, making a positive impression on the streetscape. The building is distinguished by its Victorian shopfront, which is of high quality design and execution, and makes this attractive commercial building stand out amongst the others on the street. Skilful craftsmanship is apparent in the timber console, as well as in the doorcase, most notably the decorative frieze which mimics the design of the capital to the west of the fascia.