Categories of Special Interest
1790 - 1810
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, built c.1800, having shopfront and integral carriage arch to front (west) elevation. Now in use as shop. Pitched slate roof, brown brick chimneystack and clay chimneypots, rebuilt brown brick parapet wall with granite coping. Shared cast-iron rainwater goods to front elevation. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond. Square-headed window openings throughout, brown brick voussoirs, granite sills and two-over-two pane timber sash windows. Recent shopfront comprising tiled wall surrounding square-headed opening having aluminium fittings. Segmental-arched carriage arch, render to surrounding wall, double-leaf steel gate.
Maintaining the parapet height and fenestration alignment of its neighbouring buildings, this house contributes positively to the horizontal aspect of the streetscape. The carriage arch is an interesting feature, providing access to rear outbuildings. Its regular fenestration pattern contributes a pleasing sense of symmetry to the facade. Despite the addition of a recent shopfront, the building retains its early character and charm.