Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced three-storey two-bay house, built c.1800. Now in use as flats. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to east, hidden behind partially rebuilt brown brick parapet wall with granite coping. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond. Square-headed window openings throughout, brown brick voussoirs, raised render reveals, painted masonry sills and two-over-two pane timber sash windows. Steel railings and coloured glass panel to ground floor window. Elliptical-arched doorcase comprising moulded masonry surround, panelled pilasters with plain consoles supporting timber cornice over timber panelled door, plain overlight.
Maintaining the parapet height and fenestration alignment of its neighbouring buildings, this modest house contributes positively to the horizontal aspect of the streetscape. Though simply composed, it has a regularity of design and proportion, which is most evident in the window openings, and is enhanced by an elegant doorcase. Its association with the public house is indicated by a decorative ground floor window. This and its immediate neighbours indicate the historic nature of the street, while the block to the east has been redeveloped. Thom's Directory of 1850 lists no.40 as being the residence of A. Curry, while in 1862 it was in use as a bakery, with the neighbouring buildings on either side in use as tenements.