Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1700 - 1740
Detached single-bay three-storey over basement former widows almshouse, built c.1720, having four-bay side elevation, with angled corner to north-west and two-storey extension to west elevation. Pitched artificial slate roof, hipped to front (north) elevation, terracotta ridge tiles, rendered chimneystacks having clay chimneypots, cast-iron rainwater goods, raised parapet to front with masonry coping. Roughcast rendered walls, render platband to rear (south) elevation, render plinth course to front, brick plinth course over rendered wall to basement to east elevation. Exposed yellow brick, laid in Flemish bond, to front. Square-headed window openings throughout, render reveals, masonry sills and replacement uPVC and timber framed windows. Round-arched door opening to front, render surround, timber panelled door, render step and tripartite fanlight.
This almshouse was built to house widows from the parish of St Paul's, and is an important reminder of the social history of the area. The unusual form of the house, with its gable facing the street, is perhaps indicative of an early date. It makes an imposing impression on the streetscape due to its size and form. In 1818 29 widows lodged there. Some of them received a weekly stipend, paid for through collections at the parish church and occasional additional donations and subscriptions. The census of 1911 shows that the boarders were all Church of Ireland. Rocque's map shows a 'carpenters widdows house' with a different footprint on this site, indicating that there is a long history of a charitable tradition associated with this site. Thom's Directory of 1850 also lists it as 'Carpenters' Alms-houses', implying that perhaps it was built to cater for widows of tradespeople.