Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use

Public house

In Use As

Public house


1905 - 1915


313685, 234440

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay three-storey public house, built c.1910, having attic storey and shopfront to front (south) elevation. Artificial slate mansard roof with terracotta ridge tiles, yellow and red brick chimneystacks, dormer windows and panelled rendered parapet to front having moulded render cornice over yellow brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, red brick block-and-start quoins, pilasters, and string course at second floor sill level. Oculi to attic storey with moulded render surrounds, central round-headed window opening to attic storey set within shaped gable, moulded render hood moulding, timber framed window. Segmental-arched window openings, carved red brick voussoirs and surrounds, panelled render keystones, one-over-one pane timber sash windows and limestone sills. Carved limestone shopfront comprising engaged columns with foliate capitals, paired to either end, having carved bases and panelled plinths, and polished red granite shafts, supporting fascia with gilded lettering, flanked by carved consoles surmounted by urn finials. Square-headed window openings having timber-framed display windows, carved limestone sills and carved panelled risers, limestone plinth course. Square-headed door openings to either end, double-leaf timber panelled doors and overlights.


This elegantly-proportioned early twentieth-century facade makes a strong impression on the streetscape. Elaborate stone detailing to the fine shopfront enlivens the façade and adds textural interest to the streetscape, while red brick is used to good effect to enhance and articulate the upper floors. It is listed in both Thom's Directory of 1850 and the Dublin Street Directory of 1862 as the property of James Fox, Vintner. By 1890 it was the premises of Mrs. Cunningham, Vintner, before becoming the premises of Michael Hayden, Tea, Wine and Spirit Merchant before 1905. It became Ryans in the 1920s. The value of £30 indicated in Thom's Directory of 1910 had increased to £80 by 1913, with no value given for the years 1911 and 1912, indicating it was rebuilt around this time. A decorative interior dates from this time, with some details such as the mosaic and nameplate subsequent to Ryans' takeover.