Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Original Use


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Post office


1800 - 1840


313620, 234443

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay three-storey former house, built c.1820, having shopfront to front (south) elevation. Now in use as post office. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to east, and to west to rear, with rendered chimneystack having clay chimneypots, hidden behind raised rendered stepped parapet having central wreath motif. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Moulded render cornice and fascia over rendered walls, channelled render quoins, render fascia and cornice flanked by scrolled fluted consoles over first floor to front. Recent shopfront, having central double-leaf doors, display windows, and side door.


This building shares a parapet height and fenestration arrangement with its neighbouring buildings, contributing positively to the horizontal aspect of the streetscape. The enriched fa├žade has significant street presence, with the shopfront providing contextual interest, and the fascia over the first floor implying an earlier commercial use. The Dublin street directory of 1862 lists this as being the residence of John Orr Miller, a distiller.