Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey former house with dormer attic, built c.1810, having two-storey return to rear elevation. Now converted to apartments. Pitched slate roof, with rendered chimneystack on gable wall. Granite coping to parapet. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond to front (north-east) elevation. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls to south-east and rear elevations. Square-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, painted sills and replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed door opening, having brick voussoirs, petal fanlight, painted masonry surround with engaged pilasters with consoles, and timber panelled door. Granite paved platform and steps shared with no.82 to north-west. Cast-iron railings on carved granite plinth wall enclosing area to front.
The footprint of the terrace of three houses can be discerned on Corbett’s map of Dublin of 1821, and is clearly marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1837. The terrace makes a positive contribution to the streetscape, with its imposing height and patina of age. Though the timber sash windows have been replaced with uPVC windows, the diminishing windows create a well-proportioned façade, as was characteristic of domestic Georgian architecture.