Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey former house with dormer attic, built c.1810, having three-storey return to rear elevation. Now in use as offices. Pitched artificial slate roof, hipped to north-west end, with brown brick chimneystack on party wall. Granite coping to parapet and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond to front (north-east) elevation. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls to north-west and rear elevations. Square-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement timber windows. Timber shopfront to ground floor, having display window, and timber panelled door with plain overlight. Recent fascia. Round-headed door opening to west of shopfront, having brick voussoirs, petal fanlight over replacement steel door.
The footprint of the terrace of three houses can be discerned on Corbett’s map of Dublin of 1821, and is clearly marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1837. The terrace rises above its two-storey neighbours, contributing to a pleasing variety in the streetscape. The diminishing windows create a well-proportioned façade, as was characteristic of domestic Georgian architecture.