Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house, built c.1810, having two-storey return to rear and later timber shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now in use as offices. Hipped artificial slate roof with yellow brick chimneystack, rendered coping to parapet. Painted brick walls laid in Flemish bond to front (north-east) elevation. Square-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, painted sills and one-over-one pane timber sash windows. Timber shopfront, having timber-framed windows with pivoting toplights. Square-headed door opening with raised-and-fielded timber panelled door with plain overlight. Engaged pilasters supporting entablature with raised lettering to frieze. Area to front enclosed, with replacement railings on rendered concrete wall.
Forming part of a terrace of modestly sized houses, no.78 Aughrim Street is characterised by its early timber shopfront. The footprint of the terrace of six houses can be noted on Corbett’s map of Dublin of 1821, and are clearly marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1837. The terrace of six two-bay two-storey houses maintains the same parapet height, contributing positively to the horizontal aspect of the streetscape. The diminishing windows and symmetrical fenestration to the upper floor create a well-proportioned façade, as was characteristic of domestic Georgian architecture.