Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1870
Pair of two-bay two-storey over raised basement former houses, built c. 1865, now in use as flats. Adjoined to neighbouring terrace on east side. M-profile pitched slate roof, rear pile hipped to party-line. Granite capped parapet to front (south). Red brick chimneystacks having cornice. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond having cut granite plinth course over .rendered walls to basement level, rendered walls to west gable and rear elevation. Square-headed window openings having replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed door openings, each having fluted brackets supporting a frieze and cornice. Timber panelled door to no.197, flush metal door to no.199. Plain fanlights. Flight of cut granite steps with nosings to shared entrance platform having cast-iron railings. Front gardens enclosed by granite plinth wall with cast-iron railings and matching pedestrian gates.
This pair of houses with substantially raised entrance level presents an imposing elevation suited to the broad character of the tree-lined North Circular Road. The pairing of houses with shared entrance platform gives an ordered elevation and scale. The matching surviving door surrounds contribute to their unified appearance. The North Circular Road was laid out in the 1780s to create convenient approaches to the city. It developed slowly over the following century with the far west and east ends developing last. Historic maps show the pair named as Abercorn Terrace.