Survey Data

Reg No

50060633


Rating

Local


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1830 - 1850


Coordinates

316529, 235525


Date Recorded

25/08/2014


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Group of three terraced two and four-bay two-storey over basement houses, built c.1840. M-profile roof with cast-iron and replacement rainwater goods. Yellow brick chimneystack over party wall between Nos 588 and 590. Roofs set behind parapet walls with granite copings. Brick facades, laid in Flemish bond to Nos 586 and 590. Roughcast render to No. 588. Smooth render to basements with granite string courses. Facade of No. 586 angled to follow bend of North Circular Road. Square-headed window openings with painted granite sills, rendered reveals and replacement timber sliding sash and uPVC windows. Timber casement windows to basement of No. 586. Segmental-arch door openings with rendered reveals, timber doorcases with flat-panelled pilasters, fluted friezes, moulded cornices, plain console brackets and replacement doors to Nos 588 and 590. Replacement doorcase, door and fanlight to No. 586. Doors open to granite platforms and steps. Tiles to platform of No. 590. Basement wells enclosed by plinth walls with wrought-iron or replacement mild steel railings. Steel steps descend to basement of No. 588. Concrete steps descend to basement of No. 590. Square-headed door openings to basements of Nos 588 and 590, with replacement glazed uPVC and timber doors.

Appraisal

The North Circular Road, as its name suggests, is a curving outer ring road that was laid out in the 1760s. Development of the road in the Summerhill area largely began in the 1820s, with tall terraced houses being built in groups. Building continued in the area throughout the nineteenth century, resulting in the various building styles seen today in the locality. The terraced group of houses on the southern side of the road was erected in the mid-nineteenth century. Rising two storeys over basements, the houses have the same general design. Although they have lost historic fabric they continue to contribute to the quality of the streetscape. No. 586 is notable, however, as its four-bay facade is angled to respect the curve of the street.